From my e-mail inbox.
Some of the most significant messages people deliver to one another
often come in just three words. When spoken or conveyed, those
statements have the power to forge new friendships, deepen old ones
and restore relationships that have cooled.
The following three-word phrases can enrich every relationship.
- I'LL BE THERE : Being there for another person is the greatest gift
we can give. When we are truly present for other people, important
things happen to them and to us. We are renewed in love and
friendship. We are restored emotionally and spiritually. 'Being there'
is at the very very core of civility.
- I MISS YOU : Perhaps more marriages could be salvaged and
strengthened if couples simply and sincerely said to each other "I
miss you". This powerful affirmation tells partners they are wanted,
needed, desired and loved.
- I RESPECT YOU : Respect is another way of showing love. Respect
conveys the feeling that another person is a true equal. It is a
powerful way to affirm the importance of a relationship.
- MAYBE YOU'RE RIGHT : This phrase is highly effective in diffusing an
argument and restoring frayed emotions. The flip side of "Maybe you're
right" is the humility of admitting "Maybe I'm wrong."
- PLEASE FORGIVE ME : Many broken relationships could be restored and
healed if people would admit their mistakes and ask for forgiveness.
All of us are vulnerable to faults, foibles and failures. A man should
never be ashamed to own he has been in the wrong, which is but saying,
in other words, that he is wiser today than he was yesterday.
- I THANK YOU : Gratitude is an exquisite form of courtesy. People who
enjoy the companionship of good, close friends are those who don't
take daily courtesies for granted. They are quick to thank their
friends for their many expressions of kindness. On the other hand,
people whose circle of friends is severely constricted often do not
have the attitude of gratitude.
- COUNT ON ME : "A friend is one who walks in when others walk out".
Loyalty is an essential ingredient for true friendship ; it is the
emotional glue that bonds people. Those who are rich in their
relationships tend to be steady and true friends. When troubles come,
a good friend is there, indicating "You can count on me".
- LET ME HELP : The best of friends see a need and try to fill it.
When they spot a hurt they do what they can to heal it. Without being
asked, they pitch in and help.
- I UNDERSTAND YOU : People become closer and enjoy each other more if
they feel the other person accepts and understands them. Letting
others know in so many little ways that you understand him or her is
one of the most powerful tools for healing your relationship.
- GO FOR IT : Some of your friends may be non conformists, have unique
projects and unusual hobbies. Support them in pursuing their
interests. Rather than urging your loved ones to conform, encourage
their uniqueness : Everyone has dreams that no one else has.
- I suppose the 3 little words that you were expecting to see have to
be reserved for those who are special, that is I LOVE YOU.
Have a great day loving yourself and loving your loved ones !